TomaHouse - Prefab Bach

TomaHouse






Recently I've been hunting down a way to ship in a prefab structure to remote locations, without it being a container house. These classy Baches, Bales, Fales and Bungalows are top of my list now. As a Prefab, they don't match MKD's breeze houses, but they do work as small cabins for remote areas.
What particularly caught my attention was their Montserrat project seen below and above left. Which, perhaps in it's tent like nature, reminds me of Christmases in the far north of New Zealand.

I've been "Google-Earthing" (my new verb) to hunt for the right spot and now have the structure to put in. The versatility means I can build individual units in suitable areas and join them using their connecting platforms and additions. The four, four foot deep foundation struts mean minimal impact on the area and the plug and play nature suits me to a tee. The neat bit too is if I want to change the inside or outside one day I can just order up some replacement panels and install. No dust or paint fumes in the process as the wiring and plumbing is fed through the aluminium skeleton. Merbau (need to check if environmentally sourced) and Bamboo flooring options, yum, and shiny stainless fittings, very tasty. I might see if they can source some Brazilian Jatoba or Ipe instead, the Ipe for the outside as apparently it breaks drills and standard saws it's that tough and loves getting wet, good for the beach.

Treehugger have featured these prefabs and the Jericho house made from the same components. "The core of the house is a framework of interlocking struts made of aluminum. These connect using a patented locking system. The basic structure of a TomaHouse is a 4 x 4 grid supported by four foundation columns driven 4 feet into the ground." Treehugger

They are hoping to bring out waste water units, solar power and turbines as add-ons soon - a must.
Hopefully a media pass and some emails will reveal more from their site.


Their Montserrat number in movie form.







Via: TomaHouse & Treehugger

Some additional shots from their website. (09/09/07)